How to have fun visiting the Philippines' 7,107 islands.

Home | Articles | Resources

Burgos Museum

The Burgos Museum is the well preserved birthplace of Fr. Apolonio BurgosThe structure that now houses the Fr. Burgos Museum is the ancestral house and birth place of Fr. Jose Apolonio Burgos, one of the three Filipino priests implicated in the Cavity Mutiny of 1872. It was built in 1788 by Don Juan de Gonzales, a Spanish soldier from Asturias, Spain and his wife, Florentina Gascon of Sta. Catalina de Baba.

The house was later on acquired by Don Mena Crisologo. Until 1932, its ground floor housed the Post Office and from 1946 - 1965, the branch office of the Philippine National Bank. Don Mariano Crisologo, a son of Mena, inherited the estate. His heirs sold it to the Insular Life Assurance Company on August 22, 1970.

The Burgos House was renovated by the Filipinas Foundation, Inc. and inaugurated as the Ayala Museum in Vigan. In setting up this museum, the Foundation hoped to arouse, if not reaffirm, the Ilocano pride in its glorious past.

The Ayalas turned it over to the Ilocos Sur Historical and Cultural Foundation in 1986. Now called the Fr. Burgos Museum, it is presently under the administration of the National Museum.

Exhibitions

  • Ground Floor
    • Iloco-Kankanay - Itneg Culture
    • Economic Life of the Ilocos
    • Local History
  • Second Floor
    • Memorabilia of Father Burgos and his Family
    • The 14 Villanueva Paintings of the Basi Revolt of 1807
    • Liturgical Collection

Viewing Schedule

Tuesday to Saturday & Sundays
8:30 - 11:30am
1:30 - 4:30pm

Contact Details | Write to Webmaster | Policies

Copyright and disclaimers 2009 Philippine-Tourism.biz. Philippine-Tourism.biz is a Filipino.biz.ph site. All rights reserved.